Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Pictures Say a Thousand Words. Especially When They Are Altered.

What is a website about yourself worth if it ain't got some really bad picture of yourself in it? And no I don't mean just any bad picture from your formative past. No, I mean that picture that will be used if you are the victim of (although more flattering pictures are usually used) or the participant in some crime. The picture that gets plastered across CNN, "Americas Most Wanted" (What is it with the FOX Network and every show having "America" or "American" in the title? I mean American Dad, America's Most Wanted, American Idol, 24 with Jack Bauer always saving America), "A Current Affair", "Dateline NBC" and "Larry King Live".

So with Inspiration as my tailwind and Flickr as my guide I set out to find a web image tool that can improve poor quality images to pictures that reveal truth. As the saying goes, "A sculpture is not created by chiseling away but rather a great sculpture is revealed. The statue was always inside the stone". Or something like that.

So, just as candle light improves ones appearence so to does Flickr.

Take this typical image of myself:









It is what it is. Typical Evening News Fair. But take this same image and run it through a few filters and the true composition comes to life. The lighting can be altered to enhance the subtlties that my camera phone was affraid to show before.

The following is the result:



And isn't this what writing your own blog is really all about? Making yourself look better?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow - either you live on a different planet, or you've got some really great filters and lighting....know where I can get some?

Brett said...

You would be surprised at the little amount of filtering that was necessary : )

Steven said...

I'm not reading all that.